The grocery store that we visit is currently under construction so on our weekly grocery shopping trips, my boys and I like to stop and watch the construction trucks working. My one year old could probably sit and watch them all day. Because of my boys’ love for trucks and my love for my new paint markers, I decided to create a sequencing construction truck activity. When my three year old played with it, he told his little brother, “this is a tricky one” but he was able to figure out how to put the colors in the correct order. My one year old just enjoyed playing around with all of the pieces.
How I Made This Sequencing Construction Truck:
First, I started creating this activity by drawing a dump truck on a piece of cardboard. Inside the dirt portion of the dump truck, I drew 6 evenly sized squares. To make them all the same size, I cut a square out of a different piece of cardboard and used that as a stencil to trace the 6 squares onto the truck dirt.
After all of the squares were drawn I cut each of them out.
Next, I used my paint markers to color each of the squares a different color.
Then, I cut 8 larger rectangles out of a separate piece of cardboard. I used my paint markers to color small squares in different orders onto the rectangles.
I then returned to creating the truck and cut it out.
To complete the truck, I outlined all of the features with a black sharpie marker. I decided not to paint the truck and to leave it plain brown so that the colors of the sequencing portion of the activity would really pop.
How To Play:
To play with this activity, I gave my son the truck and the six colorful squares. I then had him choose a rectangle and place it on the truck. He then copied the pattern on the rectangle by placing his 6 squares onto the dirt of the dump truck. This is a great activity to work on sequencing and fine motor skills.
What You Will Need:
- First, draw a dump truck on a piece of cardboard
- Then, draw 6 evenly sized squares in the dirt of the dump truck
- Thirdly, cut out the 6 squares
- Next, use paint markers to paint the 6 squares different colors
- Then, cut 8 rectangles out of a separate piece of cardboard
- Use paint markers to draw 6 small squares on each rectangle. Paint the squares different colors and in differing orders
- Next, cut out the dump truck
- Finally, outline the dump truck’s features with a black sharpie marker
- Have your child choose a rectangle and have them match the order of squares shown on the rectangle by placing the 6 squares onto the dirt of the dump truck in the same order
Inspired By: ediz_ile_oynuyoruz