Kids Fine Motor Activity
If you have young kids, you may be like us and have about a million food pouch caps. As I was throwing away yet another applesauce cap the other day, I realized that the caps look a bit like flower leaves and stems. So, I present to you the “pouch cap garden.”
How I Made This Pouch Cap Garden:
Creating The Garden
I started this project with an amazon box. I didn’t like the black tape on the top of the box so I cut a piece of cardboard off of a different box and hot glued it to the top of the amazon box to create a flat, brown surface for the garden.
Next, I created the flowers. To do this, I started by tracing the circular part of the applesauce top to create the center of the flower.
Then, I drew flower petals around the circle and cut out the flower.
Once the flower was cut out, I used a box cutter (I couldn’t find my exacto knife at the time. My crafting closet is currently a huge mess) to cut slits into the center of the flower as shown below.
Next, I folded the center cutouts of the flower backwards.
To complete the flower, I placed the flower onto the applesauce pouch cap.
Once the flowers were created, I then hot glued them to the top of the amazon box.
Creating The Bugs
After the flower garden was created, I made bugs out of food pouch caps and pipe cleaners.
I cut two pieces of pipe cleaners for the legs and slid the pipe cleaners through the pouch cap.
Next, I cut two shorter pieces of pipe cleaners and hot glued them to the pouch caps to create the antennas.
Finally, I used a sharpie marker to draw faces onto the bugs.
Playing With The Garden
My boys really enjoyed playing with the little bugs. After playing with them in the garden, I hid them all around the house and had my son find them. My son loved it so much that we did it over and over again.
To add a fine motor skill aspect to this activity, I had my boys place pom poms on and off of the applesauce tops to create the centers of the flowers.
What You Will Need:
- Trace the circular part of the applesauce top on cardstock paper to create the center of the flower
- Draw flower petals around the circle and cut out the flower
- Use an exacto knife to cut slits into the center of the flower as shown above
- Fold the center cutouts of the flower backwards
- Place the flower onto the applesauce pouch cap
- Hot glue the flowers to the top of the amazon box
- To create the bugs, cut two pieces of pipe cleaners for the legs and slide the pipe cleaners through the pouch cap
- Cut two shorter pieces of pipe cleaners and hot glue them to the pouch caps to create the antennas
- Use a sharpie marker to draw the bugs’ faces
- Have your child place the pom poms on and off the applesauce pouch caps to create the center of the flowers