My parents have a summer trailer that my family enjoys visiting weekly throughout the summer. I know it is a bit strange, but one of my favorite parts of the trailer park is the “dump” where everyone throws out their old stuff. If people think that someone else could possibly use their items, they leave them on the side of the garbage dumpster instead of throwing them inside. I love to go there looking for things to upcycle or repurpose.
One day I found some tires and instantly knew I wanted to use them to make something for my boys to play on. We have a large garden area in our back yard that we were not growing anything in and I thought that would be the perfect place to make something fun to play on. I later found a dining room chair and the bottom of an outdoor patio swivel chair (I used as a steering wheel) to make a play tractor. I bought some red paint and screws and put it all together for less than $5! Your kid(s) will love pretending to drive around on their DIY play tractor.
One of my favorite parts of this project is that the “steering wheel” even moves!
What you will need:
4 tires, dining room chair, patio swivel chair, Outdoor paint, screws
1. Prep the dinging room chair by sanding the surface, then paint the dining room chair using your choice of paint (I used Rust-Oleum Red Paint)
2. Screw the painted red chair to one of the tires
3. Screw the bottom section of the round patio swivel chair to another tire to create the steering wheel
4. Dig holes deep enough to fit about half of each tire in
5. Place tires inside the holes and fill in with dirt
6. Have fun playing with your new DIY Play tractor!
Oh I love this!